Sunday, May 3, 2009

San Diego Zoo (Week 5)

To be perfectly honest, I've been told that as soon as I learned how to talk, I didn't stop. My mom tells me that she used to say, "Nora, my ears are so tired. Let them rest" because I talked constantly. It's really funny, actually, because it worked- I would stop talking at least for a little while. The first time I remember feeling powerful because of my language abilities was when I was in first grade. My parents took me to the San Diego zoo one weekend, and I asked my teacher if I could tell the class about our trip. She said I could, so I brought in a butterfly made of paper my parents had bought me and told the class about the zoo. I remember loving that the class was listening to what I had to say, and I really felt that what I was talking about was extremely important. Technically, it was my first class presentation, and I loved the attention I got from it.

I'm not as big of a chatterbox as I was in elementary school, but I do still like to voice my opinions either in class or just when talking with friends. What I remember most about that "presentation" was that I got to teach the class about the zoo, and I loved it. I guess it really wasn't that big of a shock to my parents when I told them I wanted to be a teacher in third grade because of my "love for the spoken language," as my mom endearingly calls it.

No comments:

Post a Comment