Monday, May 11, 2009

Autobiography Week 6

Tone Down the Vocab!

This is an interesting topic for an essay. As I have mentioned before in other blog posts I have done, my family didn't really value education past high school. My mother was content with just passing and graduating high school.It should be of no surprise when I say that when I started in college I was put through the ringer a lot. I remember one particular time, I had just started in college at San Bernardino Valley College and my mother and I were having a one on one conversation. She was talking about all the lines in her sister's face and was wondering if hers were as bad. I said, "mom, hers are much more defined than yours." She looked at me and said, "Defined? What, do you think your a big shit now, going to college, you have to use 'defined'?" I was so confused as to why she was would see something wrong with me using that term. I said, "what's wrong with that?" "Well, aren't we just the educated one? Why didn't you just say the lines are more clear?"

Well, I still to this day believe she was threatened by me being in college so instead of arguing with her, I would just 'tone' down my vocabulary while I was around her and I still do it with the rest of my family. What's sad is, by doing that, I feel I forget the stronger vocabulary I have aqcuired through the course of my college education and when I am around my peers, I stumble on my words a lot.

I try not to 'tone' down my vocabulary anymore, however, I have been in school a long time and have been doing it for so many years, I am used to it. I never tried to make my family feel like they are anything less just because i am in school, however, I go out of my way to make them feel comfortable with me going to school since I am the black sheep for going.

I feel that when I write, the words flow a lot better than when I speak. I have no idea why that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment