Monday, May 18, 2009

Autobio #6 "Switching Discourse Gears"

By Teresa Espinosa

I had to do another "week 6" since I had the perfect weekend for this topic...

"Switching Discourse Gears"

It was the perfect weekend for this autobio since my family went to my mother's house for a bbq. It is interesting because I noticed right away when I switched discourse. On the way to my mother's it is about a 30 minute drive and my husband and I were discussing the swine flu issues in Mexico. My argument was how over dramatic some parts of this country is reacting an his argument was that we should over react, this way more people will practice cleanliness more consistantly.

While we both has strong arguments going, once we reached my mother's house, the conversation came to a halt. I tried to carry the conversation over to where my sisters were and they were disinterested. Instead, they changed my topic of conversation to gossip about another sister that wasn't present. Once in a while my sisters will discuss world news but it is not that common. They like to stick to gossip and local news. The discourse changed immediately after arriving.

It's not that I don't enjoy the occassional gossip but it gets boring and tedious after a while. When I try to discuss what is going on in school or world news/politics, they quickly become disinterested and shift gears.


2 comments:

  1. Interesting how when you start thinking about this stuff in school, you suddenly notice these dynamics in your personal and familial life. Another example of seeing and thinking in, through, with a discourse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to thank you for this excellent read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your site to check out the new stuff you post. OMC Cobra outdrive gears

    ReplyDelete