Monday, May 11, 2009

Allow myself to introduce myself Volume 2

All about books

I’d have to say the first book I ever connected with was the Bible and because both sides of my family are so spiritual I grew up in homes filled with them. Part of what makes the bible so special to me is my connection with my maternal grandmother and the clarity of my memories of her are all wrapped up in the Bible. My family read a lot and not just my immediate family but almost my entire family, there are pockets of people who were workers or hustlers but for the most part everyone was about education. Even some of the people who didn’t do school the traditional way are incredibly literate and very well spoken. I was always surrounded by books my mother loves to read I think I’ve been to almost every public library and college library in San Bernardino County because of this. I recently read Love Poems by Pablo Neruda I love reading poetry more now than ever because the words seem to come to life for me and I’ll go back and read a poem three or four times if it really speaks to me. His collection of poems about love appealed to me because I’ve been so unlucky with that aspect of my life and I wanted to feel his take on the most essential aspect of the human condition. Love is so big and so expansive and Neruda makes it seem so simple and beautiful it almost gives me hope that one day I’ll know what it’s like to experience it.

1 comment:

  1. I love Neruda. Although I read him in translation and I suspect it would be even better in the original. Another book of poetry I love: Galway Kinnell's THE BOOK OF NIGHTMARES.

    ReplyDelete