Monday, May 4, 2009

Autobiographical Essay Week 5: Fear of Public Speaking

Back when I was still acquiring my Assiciates Degree at RCC, I had to take a class on public speaking. Just the thought of speaking publically made me sick to my stomach. I remember the professor would give us the speech assignment in class and just sitting there thinking about it made my stomach turn. I thought, how could I possibly do this?! After the assignment was given, I began to think about how to present it. It helped that the assignments had to do with personal concepts which definately makes things easier to talk about. I did one speech about the person I admire most, Frida Kahlo, and one about being a mother. Each time before I spoke, the fear was so strong. But thankfully, my professor had given us tips on how to present, such as index cards and practicing and timing the speech before the day of. Index cards really helped me to stay on track during the speech and it was funny how my fear was so great before I spoke, but as soon as I began the speech, my fear seemed to immediately dissolve. My voice is loud which helps overcome the timidness of it and because I was passionate about the topics, I had no trouble spouting out a few minutes. I still get this knot in my stomach when I am going to do a speech, but I know now that it will only last until I start the presentation. I think this class helped me overcome a great fear of public speaking and makes me more elegible to become a teacher.
Teaching, for some reason, I view differently than speaking publically, but speaking to any audience holds the same qualities and concerns. Who is your audience? What is the point of the speech? Are you loud enough? Is your timing accurate? Have you made your point clear, etc.? Getting this specific perspective on speech and language made me view speaking with a more optomistic approach rather than a fearful one. Since that class, I have given presentations in front of classes, teach my own class of children, have spoken in front of my church among other things, all of which I am proud to have accomplished.

3 comments:

  1. Aw, Hannah. I would nver have guessed that you had such an issue with speaking in front of a large audience. You are so outgoing and poised when in front of the class. It is always difficult for me to be in front of a large group as well but to overcome the fear, I try to zone myself and imagine that I am only in front of myself. I know it weird but, it works for me and my focus is stronger. I am sure you will be a great teacher soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've thought about this, too, especially last quarter in Eng 510. Isn't it weird how different academic public speaking is in comparison to teaching? I am two different people- I'm "Nora the student," who gets extremely nervous when I have to present in front of my peers, and I am "Nora the teacher," who is confident working with my students at work. I agree with Teresa, Hannah, you can't tell that you're nervous! :]

    ReplyDelete
  3. For me, part of the difference is the authority automatically accorded to the teacher. But another part of it is that teaching is "back and forth" -- the conversation goes in different directions. A presentation or a lecture is far more "one way" -- and then I feel a different level of performance anxiety.

    ReplyDelete