Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Week 3 Autobiography: Bestest Books

I have had books read to me or have been reading them for so long, that trying to determine the first time a book really affected me is difficult to do. When I was younger, there is one author that still follows me around in my career of creative writing: Dr. Seuss. Whether it was the iambic patameter, the creative, outrageous circumstances of the story, the use of alliterations, or just how the story was told, Dr. Seuss was an enormous influence to my take on literature. I loved how easy he made rhyming seem and I followed his patterns as I began to write my own poetry by third grade.
I remember I wrote a poem called "Little Brothers" which ended up being entered into the Writing Celebration, a program my school was a part of, and won third place out of all who entered. Needless to say, my younger brother, Andrew, was not as thrilled as I was since the poem basically bashed on him. But as I look back, I am positive that Dr. Seuss was where I developed a sense of poetry at all.
Dr. Suess books were also great books for learning to read and I remember my grandmother bought me the whole collection once. My favorite book by him was Are You My Mother? My mom would sit down and read this book to my brother and me over and over again and we would laugh and laugh when the bulldozer would say "Snork!". It was real quality time.
Being an English major, I have read so many books! If I had to pick one (series) that I enjoyed the most, it would have to be J.R.R. Tolkein's, Lord of the Rings. I have never been more into another book than that trilogy. I think it was because it was like entering into another world that had been created special for me. I loved how he set up the entire world and tok the characters on that incredible journey. I remember at the end when Frodo is at Mount Doom and claims the ring for himself, I was so upset!! Feeling such passion for a book really draws me in and makes me never want to leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment