Monday, April 13, 2009

"Mistaken Identitity" (Week 2)

A Case of Mistaken Identity

I am not hundred percent sure when my literacy and language development began, however, what I do remember is being very young and being put into an English language learning class with students who didn’t speak any English. I don’t remember the grade I was in when I was asked by my teacher to follow the teacher standing at the door. She took me the classroom where many other students waited for instruction. I was confused as to why they were putting me in that class since I knew no Spanish. It took the teachers a many days and weeks before they realized they made a mistake. I remember just staring at them when they held up obvious pictures and asked me to name them. That is probably why it took them so long to figure out that I didn’t belong with the English language learners. They figured that because I was dark skin with dark hair and brown eyes, that I knew no English.

I have no idea how long I was in that class before they sent me back to my regular class. I know now that precious time was lost in teaching me how to read and write like the other native speakers. I know this because when I returned the other kids were reading and I still struggled because I was being taught how to pronounce words based on flash cards the ELL teacher was teaching me. So, this is the role school played in my literacy skills.

At home, I remember my mother and older brothers and sisters constantly correcting me when I spoke. At the time it was annoying however, I am certain it helped stretch my vocabulary. I don’t remember my family ever taking the time to read to me and it wasn’t extremely important to my mother that I did my homework. Needless to say, I didn’t have much support at home to motivate me to be a good student. Although I lacked support, I was determined to please my teachers. Although they made the mistake of holding me back by putting me in ELL class simply because of the way I looked, I was blessed with some teachers that helped me develop my reading and writing skills.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This mistake is definately a distraction from your learning process and seems a bit stereotypical of the teachers. But I know that they have improved this system a bit in that they ask parents now to fill out a survey card that asks what language the student speaks at home, uses most often, etc. This could have helped your situation out when you were younger, but it doesn't seem to have affected your desire to be a great student.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I can't believe that they did that! That must have been so frustrating and confusing as a kid. I also wonder how many students they had in that class if it took them so long to realize that you spoke English. It seems like either there were a lot of kids so they had a hard time paying special attention to everyone, or they (and I hate to say this, though it may be true) simply didn't give the students the attention that they needed. I'm glad that this experience didn't turn you off to school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That's all I can think to say. Wow. Have you ever read Mike Rose's "Lives on the Boundary?" It's a really interesting and moving book about his experiences being "misplaced" in the system and how that affected him as an educator.

    ReplyDelete