Monday, April 13, 2009

Don't be "Afraid" (Week 2)

When I think about my first experiences with literacy, the first thing that comes to mind is this huge sort-of “Hooked on Phonics” cardboard box that my mom used to help me learn letter sounds and basic words. In it were flashcards, cassette tapes and small books that my mom rotated using. Along with these practices, both of parents continually read to me and sat patiently with me while I learned to read. Reading Chicka Chicka Boom Boom was especially exciting, as my parents went to extreme lengths when reading it to me. They often created different voices for each of the letters to spark the idea that one can create your own characters when you read, thus sparking my interest in reading in genteral. My parents were also influential in my early literacy development when they got me a subscription to receive Dr. Seuss books monthly for my sixth or seventh birthday. I waited every month for these books and would read them over and over again until the next one arrived. These books also were incredibly influential in my growth as a reader.

In third grade, I couldn’t for the life of me spell “afraid.” There was something about that silent ‘i’ that kept me from remembering it. It was one of the words for my spelling test, and my mom was quizzing me for the test the next day. I became so frustrated that I couldn’t get this word that I began to cry. My mom was so good at remaining calm and putting things in ways I could remember, and she came up with a rhythm that she said over and over again until I got it. I still remember it today (and would type it here, though I don’t know if the effect would translate through text). My growth as a writer was a bit more of a challenge than my growth as a reader, but through my struggles with writing I grew to love it.

Also during third grade I entered a story I wrote into a writing competition my school held. I spent a lot of time on this story and I actually still have it. The spelling is terrible, but the point was that I was writing. Surprisingly it is about three and a half pages long and actually pretty funny. The opportunity I had at the school to write creatively paired with the encouragement to read from my parents both helped develop my literacy skills.

1 comment:

  1. What a great story. I remember those boxed sets of 'hooked on phonics' in the classroom. I don't ever remember using though.How fun. I try to make reading fun for my boys and pretty much act it out as well. They seem to respond better when mama gets drama! lol. I would love to know the little rhyme, it seems children retain information better when we make a song or rhyme out of them. i can imagine how frustrated you were.

    ReplyDelete