Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Allow myself to introduce myself last time I think

The use of language defines who we are what we're about and what we mean to those around us. The various communities we interact with are as much a part of us as we are a part of them. I am a Corrections Officer but even within that very small communities there are certain smaller discourses. I am a black man, I am a part of what I would consider the Hip-hop generation, I'm a poet, a football coach, a student and a teacher in training. There are perameters and jargon specific to all of these communities that I navigate between on a daily basis. My speech is the only thing that is effected in my transition between one and the next. I fell I'm always the same person, I don't even notice when I switch codes but after examining my many discourses I know that I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment